Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
"Hey, waiter - there's a flower in my cocktail!" This is a great party idea! Prove that you're the hostess with the most-ess, the ultimate party planner, when you serve your guests drinks with stunning floral ice-cubes. Yes, ice-cubes with small flowers or flower petals frozen within them. Try it for your next party or gathering. This idea is perfect for a showers, christenings, weddings, Christmas, or just about any special occasion. I also like to pile them up in a clear glass wine or champagne cooler to serve. This is a great example of how you can actually incorporate party decorations into the food you serve, so the food and the decor merge and compliment one another. Drop floral ice cubes into your guest’s glasses, or fill your punch bowl with them. Make sure you only use edible, organically grown (non-toxic) flowers. Rose petals, geranium petals, violets or small pansies are ideal choices, and that they are free of pesticides and traffic pollution. You can also use the flowers of fresh herbs, and drop them in to chilled soups for the summer - they make a wonderful finishing touch.
- freshly cut fresh edible flower (pansies, violas, violets, marigolds, wallflowers, lobelia, borage flowers and other flowers from fre)
- mineral water or filtered water
- ice cube
- Cut small, colourful flowers from your garden. Some types you might select are: pansies, violas, wallflowers, lobelia, and miniature roses. For larger flowers, simply use the petals instead of the whole flower. You can also use flowers from fresh herbs.
- Fill an ice cube tray half full of water. Place the tray in the freezer until the water freezes.
- Remove the tray from the freezer and place one flower or several petals in each of the individual ice cube cups. Top off with enough water to cover the blossoms.
- Return the flower-filled ice cube trays to the freezer until the cubes are frozen.
- Remove the cubes from the trays and either store in the freezer in zip lock bags or use in beverages straight away.
- Some more ideas for these ice cubes: drop them into soups or chilled soups; add to the punch bowl; line a glass salad bowl with them and then serve your salad in the middle; use them to chill wine and champagne in clear coolers -- or just drop them into any cold drink!
I think these little floral ice cubes are adorable. I used chive flowers for mine. I'll definitely be keeping this recipe handy for future use.
I am totally going to try this! What a beautiful idea for a bridal/baby shower, especially. I must say, though, I would probably refrain from doing this at...say...a Superbowl Party, because men might think it's really weird. :)
I used small pansies from my garden. It's beautiful. It's a great idea to add these cubes in clean drinks. Thanks FrenchTart. Made for Holiday tag.