Recipe by Nana Lee
I donn't recall where I found this recipe but I love walnuts and tis seemed like a keeper. There is a wine suggestion to go with this cake at the end of the recipe.
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup Splenda granular
- 1 tablespoon Splenda granular
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, grated
- 3⁄4 lb walnuts, finely ground
- powdered sugar, to garnish (optional)
- cocoa (to garnish) (optional)
- fresh berries, garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375°F
- Lightly butter and flour an 8-inch round cake pan.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the egg yolks and sugar together until light and fluffy, approximately 4 minutes. Stir in the lemon zest.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until they hold stiff peaks.
- Fold one quarter of the whites into the egg-yolk mixture to lighten it.
- Add the ground walnuts, stirring until thoroughly blended.
- Carefully fold in the remaining egg whites to maintain a light texture.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake for about 60 minutes or until firm and golden brown.
- Cool on a rack before removing the cake from the pan.
- To serve, slice into wedges.
- If desired, dust alternately with powdered sugar and cocoa and arrange with fresh berries.
- WINE SUGGESTIONS:.
- Late Harvest Riesling or Sweet Orange Muscat wines.