Prep 2 hrs 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This was taken from the youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pTQvU2qxpc I cut the amount of sugar in half and added a little salt.
- 2 oranges
- 6 eggs
- 150 g sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch saffron
- 130 g almond meal
- Boil the whole oranges for 2 hours. Check the water level occasionally to make sure the pan doesn't boil dry. I usually do this the day before because working with steaming hot orange guts is no joke! I let the boiled oranges sit for quite a while. Then when they are cool enough to handle I:.
- Cut them each into 4 pieces. Then toss them into the Thermomix or a food processor and hit turbo 2 or 3 times until they are finely chopped but not liquified. If you are doing this the day before, plop the whole mess into a tupperware and stick it in the fridge until the next day.
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF, 190ºC. Grease and line a 9", 24cm, cake pan.
- If you are making your own almond meal, do so now. Place the almonds in the TM bowl and chop 10 seconds/speed 10. Check to make sure the mixture is finely ground - but don't go so far that you accidentally make almond butter! Tip out and set aside.
- Place the eggs and sugar into the TM bowl. Mix until the mixture is thick and pale 2 minutes/speed 6.
- Add the baking powder, salt and saffron mix 20 seconds/speed 4.
- Add your reserved orange glop to the TM bowl. Stir to combine 30 seconds/speed 2.5.
- Add the almond meal stir 15 seconds/speed 3.5.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 40-60 minutes (depending upon the size of the pan and the amount of goop your 2 oranges turn into!) Cake is done when a tester comes out clean.