Recipe by JoJoStar
This is an outstandingly dense and rich cake. But the best part is how EASY it is to make. From The Gourmet Cookbook.
Top Review by La Dilettante
Your are sooooo right about the "easy" part! And tastes just as fabulous, if not better, than more complicated recipes. This always gets raves when I serve it, with a nice blob of whipped cream and a few raspberries on top. As a recent dinner guest said, "Restaurant-worthy!"
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, plus additional for dusting
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter a 10-inch springform pan, line bottom with a round of parchment or wax paper, and butter paper.
- melt chocolate with butter in a medium metal bowl set over a saucepan of barely simmering water, stirring until smooth.
- Remove bowl from heat and whisk in sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time, whisking well after each addition.
- Sift cocoa powder over chocolate and whisk until just combined.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Bake until top has formed a thin crust and a wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out with moist crumbs adhering, 35-40 minutes.
- cool cake in pan on a rack for 10 minutes, then remove side of pan.
- invert cake onto a plate and reinvert onto rack to cool completely.
- dust cake with cocoa powder before serving.