Prep 40 mins
Cook 45 mins
Posted for a Recipezaar friend's request; haven't tried it (yet).
- 3 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package Fleischmann's active dry yeast or 1 package fast rising yeast
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup light molasses, at room temperature
- In large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, cornmeal, salt and undissolved yeast.
- Heat water, butter and molasses to 120F degrees to 130F degrees.
- Gradually add hot liquids to dry ingredients; beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Add 1/2 cup flour; beat at high speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- With spoon, stir in enough additional flour to make soft dough.
- Knead dough on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Cover; let rest on board 20 minutes.
- Roll dough to 14 x 9-inches.
- Roll up tightly from short end as for jelly roll; pinch seam and ends to seal.
- Place, seam side down, in greased 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan.
- Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place, until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Sprinkle top of loaf with 1 teaspoon flour.
- With sharp knife, make lengthwise cut, about 1/4 inch deep, in top of loaf.
- Bake at 375F for 45 minutes or until done.
- Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
- To save up to 50-percent rising time use Fleischmann's Rapid Rise Yeast.
- Follow directions except reduce first rising: cover kneaded dough and let rest on floured surface 10 minutes; proceed with recipe.
I use clear syrup for the molasses.This bread has a sweet nutty taste. Makes great toast.Butter top soon as you take from oven keeps it softer.
Pillowy soft and sweet! We usually eat whole grain breads, so this tasted like dessert to my family.