Fleischmann's Casserole Cheese Bread
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 5mins
- 1 cup milk (I use skim, but Mom says whole milk makes the bread come out better.)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Fleischmann's margarine (I used unsalted butter)
- 1 cup warm water (see NOTES below)
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages Fleischmann's active dry yeast
- 1 cup cheese, shredded (I like sharp cheddar)
- 4 1⁄2 cups flour, sifted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease 1-1/2 quart baking dish or two 9x5x3-inch loaf pans. (I used ungreased non-stick loaf pans.).
- Scald milk. (To scald, heat milk in non-stick saucepan until milk begins to stick to sides). Add sugar, salt, and butter; mix well. Set aside to cool until lukewarm.
- Pour WARM water into large bowl and add yeast; stir until dissolved.
- Add lukewarm milk mixture, cheese, and flour. Stir until well blended (about 2 minutes).
- Cover and place bowl in warm draft-free area until dough has risen to more than double in size (about 45 minutes).
- Stir batter down. Beat vigorously about 2-1/2 minutes. Pour batter into pan(s).
- Bake uncovered for about 1 hour. Cool slightly, then remove from pan and cool on rack.
- NOTES: Instructions from 1963 yeast pkg - "Dissolve 1 package yeast by stirring into WARM water (105-115 degrees), using amounts specified in recipe. Use dissolved yeast as directed.".
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
this is really really really GOOD a nice dense bread..I had mine hot from the oven with a BIG gob of butter that melted and dripped down my chin..so yummy.. I baked mine in a round pyrex bowl 1 1/2 quart sized..and mine "looked" done after 45 min..but didn't "sound "done with the thump it test.. so I left it in..turned off the oven and left the door open halfway.. came out perfect.. very pretty..very tasty too... this would/will be so awsome filled with a dip of some sort with this bread tore into chunks also bet it will be awsome toasted.. try it you'll like it/love it!!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hi! I'm very blessed with a daughter and 3 sons, all teens who don't hate me lol. I am passionate about my family, and being an Italian family makes us all foodies by nature! I love to cook just about anything that's rustic style, and I eat fairly naturally and vegetarian.