MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Posted for a Recipezaar friend; haven't tried these myself. The Fleischmann's Yeast Company published this recipe, claiming the recipe is of German origin.
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 20mins
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour (1-3/4 to 2-1/4 cups)
- 1 package Fleischmann's active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine, softened
- 2 egg yolks, at room temperature (reserve whites for filling)
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup ground walnuts
- 3⁄4 cup chopped/pitted dates
Chocolate Nut Filling
- 3⁄4 cup mini chocolate chip, substituted for dates,above
- Mix sour cream and water; heat until warm (105 to 115F).
- Stir in yeast; let stand 3 minutes or until yeast is dissolved; set aside.
- In large bowl, combine butter and 1/2 cup flour; stir in sour cream mixture.
- Stir in egg yolks and enough remaining flour to make soft dough.
- Divide dough into 3 equal pieces.
- Wrap in airtight plastic wrap; chill at least 2 hours or up to 3 days.
- Lightly dust work surface with sugar.
- Roll each piece of dough to 12-inch circle; cut into 8 pie-shaped wedges.
- Spread each wedge with about 1 tablespoon filling.
- Roll up from wide ends to make crescents.
- Place, with points down, on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 375F for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from baking sheets; cool on wire racks.
- Makes 24 to 30 cookies.
- In medium bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add sugar and vanilla extract; continue beating until very stiff but not dry.
- Stir in ground walnuts and chopped dates or pitted dates (snipped) OR mini chocolate chips.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Recipe was easy to follow. I need more practice in rolling up the triangles with filling...they didn't look perfect, but turned out terrific after baked, cooled and dusted with icing sugar. I made the date and nut filling and threw in a 1/2 cup mini white chocolate chips...this was an afterthought turning out delicious!Reply