1 hr 30 mins
Anise, one of the more exotic spices in five-spice powder, stands out in this fruit pie.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 9 inch unbaked pie shells, refrigerated
- 828.06 ml peeled cored, and sliced Granny Smith apples (also may use Cortland or Northern Spy)
- 828.06 ml cored sliced ripe pears (peeled or unpeeled)
- 1 grated lemon, zest of
- 14.79 ml fresh lemon juice
- 29.58 ml orange juice
- 177.44 ml sugar, divided
- 22.18 ml cornstarch
- 9.85 ml Chinese five spice powder
Cornmeal Streusel Topping
- 1In a large mixing bowl, combine the apples, pears, lemon zest, lemon juice, orange juice, and 1/2 cup sugar; set aside for 10 minutes.
- 2In a small bowl, combine the remaining 1/4 cup sugar, cornstarch, and five-spice powder; stir mixture into the fruit.
- 3Transfer filling to the chilled pie shell; smooth filling with you hands to even it out.
- 4Place the pie on the center oven rack of a 400° oven; bake for 30 minutes.
- 5To make the topping: put the flour, cornmeal, brown sugar, and salt in the container of a food processor; pulse several times to mix.
- 6Scatter the butter over the mixture; pulse until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- 7Empty crumbs into a bowl and rub them between your fingers to make large, buttery crumbs; refrigerate until ready to use.
- 8Take pie out of oven and lower oven temperature to 375°.
- 9Distribute crumbs evenly over top of pie; tamp them down lightly.
- 10Return pie to oven (rotate pie so that the part that faced the back of the oven now faces the front); place a foil-lined baking sheet onto the rack below to catch any spills.
- 11Bake for 30 minutes or until the juices bubble thickly around the edge.
- 12Transfer pie to a wire rack and let cool at least 1 hour before serving.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Five-Spice Pear-Apple Pie
Serving Size: 1 (298 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 655.7
- Calories from Fat 233
- Total Fat 25.8 g
- Saturated Fat 12.2 g
- Cholesterol 40.6 mg
- Sodium 268.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 105.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.6 g
- Sugars 66.1 g
- Protein 4.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of
Chinese five spice powder