Recipe by KookieMomster
Five spice powder is available in the Asian foods section of most grocery stores. It smells sweet and compliments apples well. This is a nice surprise for anyone who thinks that apple pie is ho-hum. For a-la-mode, I recommend a small scoop of orange frozen yogurt.
- 2 store bought pie crusts (usually 1 box)
- 5 -6 apples (Granny Smith, Cortland, Crispin)
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 5 teaspoons five-spice powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon, zest of
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, keep cold enough to slice into pats
Directions See How It's Made
- Line a nine inch pie pan with one crust.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Peel apples, core them and cut into thin slices or small cubes.
- In a mixing bowl combine apples, sugar, brown sugar, flour, spice, juice and zest.
- Mix gently to coat apples neatly with all ingredients.
- Pour apples into pie crust and pat down a little.
- Slice butter into 4 or 5 pieces and set on top of apples.
- Place second crust on top, seal the edges and make a slit in the top.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes; check to be sure that the crust doesn't burn.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes, enjoy.