Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Delicious with a green mixed salad and a perfect way to use up any leftover fish. From the Minnesota Scandinavian chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 7 tablespoons butter
- 7 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 cups fish, cooked and flaked (any kind is fine)
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- Lightly beat egg yolks and beat egg whites until stiff.
- Preheat oven to 350F and lightly butter a casserole dish.
- Melt butter; blend in flour, salt, pepper and sugar.
- Add milk gradually, stirring constantly and cook until thickened.
- Cook over very low heat an additional five minutes.
- Remove from heat and add beaten egg yolks and fish.
- Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Pour into prepared casserole, sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Set casserole in a pan of hot water and bake until firm to the touch, 45 to 60 minutes.