Forgo the bun and eat the fish piled with the slaw if you're watching your carbs. Recipe courtesy Food Network Magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup milk
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tilapia fillets (5-6-ounce each)
- 1 cup stone-ground cornmeal
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced (green onions)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapeno peppers, and 1/2 to 1 tablespoon juice from the can
- vegetable oil or peanut oil, for frying
- 3 cups thinly sliced iceberg lettuce (about 1/2 small head)
- 4 soft hoagie rolls or 4 French baguettes, split and toasted
- 1Put the milk in a medium bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add the fish and set aside to soak until ready to fry. Put the cornmeal in a baking dish and add 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- 2For the jalapeno dressing, combine the scallions, mayonnaise, mustard, jalapenos and 1/2 to 1 tablespoon pickling juice in a bowl.
- 3Heat about 2 inches vegetable oil in a large pot over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350 degrees F.
- 4Remove 2 fillets from the milk, shaking off the excess and dredge in cornmeal to coat. Carefully lower into the oil and fry until golden and just cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and season with salt. Repeat with the remaining fillets.
- 5Toss the lettuce with the jalapeno dressing and season with salt, pepper and more pickling juice, if desired. Divide the fish and slaw among the rolls.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fish Sandwiches With Jalapeno Slaw
Serving Size: 1 (346 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 509.8
- Calories from Fat 119
- Total Fat 13.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 74.8 mg
- Sodium 679.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 36.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: