Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Forgo the bun and eat the fish piled with the slaw if you're watching your carbs. Recipe courtesy Food Network Magazine.
- 1 cup milk
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tilapia fillets (5-6-ounce each)
- 1 cup stone-ground cornmeal
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced (green onions)
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapeno peppers, and 1/2 to 1 tablespoon juice from the can
- vegetable oil or peanut oil, for frying
- 3 cups thinly sliced iceberg lettuce (about 1/2 small head)
- 4 soft hoagie rolls or 4 French baguettes, split and toasted
- Put the milk in a medium bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add the fish and set aside to soak until ready to fry. Put the cornmeal in a baking dish and add 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- For the jalapeno dressing, combine the scallions, mayonnaise, mustard, jalapenos and 1/2 to 1 tablespoon pickling juice in a bowl.
- Heat about 2 inches vegetable oil in a large pot over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350 degrees F.
- Remove 2 fillets from the milk, shaking off the excess and dredge in cornmeal to coat. Carefully lower into the oil and fry until golden and just cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and season with salt. Repeat with the remaining fillets.
- Toss the lettuce with the jalapeno dressing and season with salt, pepper and more pickling juice, if desired. Divide the fish and slaw among the rolls.