Recipe by CJAY
This is an original Swahili recipe from Kenya. Posted for ZWT7-Africa. I found this on the internet.
Top Review by NewEnglandCook
A delicious recipe. Very easy to prepare, as well. I did not have tamarind but used fresh lime juice and a pinch of brown sugar. <br/>We served it over white rice. <br/><br/>Thanks for posting.
- 3 lbs fish fillets
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups coconut milk
- 3 tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tamarind paste or 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons garam masala or 3 teaspoons curry powder
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the fish in serving pieces.
- Chop the onion, bell pepper, garlic, and tomatoes in small pieces.
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large pot.
- Sear the fish filets and put them on a separate plate. Do not cook through.
- Reduce the heat to minimum and add the pepper and onion. Saute until the onion is semi-transparent.
- Add the garlic, and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil. Add the rest of the ingredients, bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Add the fish filets.
- Cover the pot and simmer until the fish is cooked through, which should take up to 10 minutes.
- Serve with rice, boiled potatoes, chapatti, or broiled cassava.