Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
Rich, delicious and a beautiful presentation.
Make and share this Fish Fillet Divan recipe from Food.com.
- 2 packages frozen broccoli stems
- 2 lbs mild white fish fillets (tilapia,flounder, etc. Frozen is okay if fresh not available)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup swiss cheese, shredded or grated
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash white pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 3⁄4 cup shredded swiss cheese
- First make cheese sauce.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium high heat.
- Add onion and cook until soft but not browned.
- Add flour and cook 1 minute stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Gradually add milk while stirring constantly until mixture is completely smooth.
- Return to heat and cook, stirring, until mixture thickens.
- Reduce heat and simmer 3 minutes stirring constantly.
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolk.
- Stir in about 1/2 of the hot sauce and mix well.
- Stir egg yolk mixture and the cheese into hot sauce.
- Cook over low heat stirring constantly until cheese melts and mixture thickens.
- DO NOT BOIL.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Butter or spray a 9 x 13 pan.
- Microwave frozen broccoli until almost done.
- Rinse and pat dry fish fillets.
- Cut fillets into two or three pieces.
- Brush fillets with lemon juice and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Arrange broccoli spears in bottom of buttered pan.
- Top with fish fillets and pour sauce over all.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 c.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes and then briefly put under broiler until top is brown (watch carefully).