Recipe by Chef Kate
Chef Greg Ische of the Hotel del Coronado recommends this as a great BBQ basting sauce as well as a dipping sauce.
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup coriander leaves, diced
- 1 large orange
- 1⁄4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot Chinese chili paste
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the zest and the juice of the orange with all the ingredients except the seeds in a bowl and mix well.
- Toss the sesame, cumin and fennel seeds together in a saucepan with no oil and cook on high heat for a few minutes (the seeds will pop and brown).
- Toss the toasted seeds into the sauce.
- Let the firecracker sauce stand for at least two hours before serving.