Recipe by drhousespcatcher
created by Fins Head Chef Mark Miranda, directly from the Bawlmer PHC newsletter [Jungle Drums, vol 1, no. 3] By the Squid
Top Review by minnow3
I was skeptical about the unusual mix of ingredients, but it was delicious! I did not have crab base and I imagine if I did it would have been even better. (I will freeze all my crab boil broth in the future) It was fairly easy to prepare My parrothead friends loved it too.
- 1 mango (diced)
- 1 cup oil
- 1 lb backfin crab meat
- 16 ounces dried split peas
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 2 plantains
- 1 cup crab base
- 1 gallon water
- 1⁄2 cup caribbean jerk seasoning
- 1 red onion (Bermuda)
- cornstarch, to thicken (about 1 cup diluted in water)
Directions See How It's Made
- Dice all vegetables & fruits.
- In a large pot, saute vegetables in 1 cup oil.
- Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Simmer about 1.5 hours.
- Thicken with cornstarch diluted in water to the consistency you like.
- [The recipe is for a party sized pot (serves about 12-16)].