Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From Cooking Light. Posting for ZWT3.
Make and share this Finnish Salmon-Potato Chowder recipe from Food.com.
- 1 teaspoon butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (8 ounce) bottle clam juice
- 4 cups cubed peeled baking potatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups thinly sliced carrots
- 3 1⁄2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 10 ounces roasted salmon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add chopped onion, and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle onion mixture with celery salt.
- Stir in flour, and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add clam juice. Bring mixture to a boil, and cook for 1 minute or until thick, stirring constantly.
- Add potato cubes and carrot slices, and stir in milk.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Break Salmon into chunks; add salmon, chopped dill, and Worcestershire sauce to pan.
- Bring chowder to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes or until potato is tender.
This dish, unfortunately, was the worst one we have cooked from 'Zaar. According to my family, there was FAR too much onion and potato and carrot -- they completely overwhelmed the salmon and seasonings. If we ever try it again, we'll be reducing all those ingredients by a factor of at least three. We were all so disappointed. Could something have gone wrong with the proportions when it was being submitted?