Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This was a 4-H National Contest Winner and is to die for....
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening (Butter flavored Crisco works best)
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup fig preserves
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- Cream sugar and shortening.
- Add beaten eggs and mix well.
- Add the fig preserves.
- Mix all of the dry ingredients together (except pecans) and whisk to blend them.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the egg and sugar mixture, alternating with the milk.
- Mix thoroughly for about 2 minutes.
- Add the pecans (I lightly flour mine to keep them from sinking).
- Pour into a greased and floured tube pan and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 1 hour.
- Cool at least 10 minutes before removing from the pan.
This is an incredible cake. The batter was silky smooth and satinly when all was blended, I knew there and then it would be great. I did cut the allspice in half and add 1 teaspoon of vanilla. We enjoy this just sliced with the powedered sugar dusting I did over the top, but it REALLY came alive when drizzled with hot lemon sauce. My husband asked me to make sure I get more fig preserves to make this again.