Prep 2 hrs 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Makes 12 with enough filling for a further 2 batches: Vegan. A recipe inspired by Rose Eliot
Make and share this Fig and Walnut Mince Pies recipe from Food.com.
- 500 g shortcrust pastry, preprepared
- 250 g dried figs, chopped
- 100 g raisins
- 100 g sultanas
- 50 g dried dates, chopped
- 50 g vegetarian glace cherries, chopped
- 50 g walnuts, lightly toasted and chopped
- 5 tablespoons brandy or 5 tablespoons whiskey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 pinch nutmeg, freshly grated
- 2 1⁄2 cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 ripe banana, peeled and mashed
- To make the mincemeat, put the dried fruit, glacé cherries and walnuts into a bowl. Pour over the alcohol, the ginger and the spices. Stir well and leave to stand for 1-2 hours, stirring from time to time. Add the banana and mix well.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6. Grease a 12-hole jam tart tin with a vegan margarine.
- Roll the pastry out thinly. Using an 8cm circular pastry cutter and a 4cm star-shaped pastry cutter, cut out 12 circles and 12 star shapes.
- Press the circles gently into each section of the tin, then put a heaped teaspoon of mincemeat into each and top with the star shaped pastry.
- Bake for 10 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Cool in the tin for a few minutes then transfer to a wire rack. Serve while still warm, sprinkled with a little caster sugar and a healthy scoop of vanilla flavoured vegan icecream.