Recipe by EdsGirlAngie
This is a colorful and delicious "slaw" with lots of interesting tastes and textures. I especially like the addition of "pepitas", or shelled pumpkin seeds. Serve with fried or baked corn tortilla strips. This recipe is originally from The Mansion on Turtle Creek in Dallas, Texas.
- 1 small mango, peeled, pitted, diced (I've also used mango nectar, but it's not as thick as pureed mango)
- 1⁄2 cup grapefruit juice
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (a fresh minced serrano pepper is good, too!)
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove
- salt and pepper
For The Salad
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 3 cups thinly sliced iceberg lettuce
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced peeled pitted mangoes
- 1 cup diced peeled jicama
- 3⁄4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 (7 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained, diced
- 1⁄3 cup shelled pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Make the dressing: Blend all ingredients in blender until smooth.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Make the salad: Combine cabbage, lettuce, mango, jicama, onion, peppers, pumpkin seeds and cilantro in large bowl.
- Toss with dressing.
- Season with salt and pepper.