Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is how I make tortilla or fiesta soup. It's economical and protein-rich without using a lot of chicken breasts. I poach the chicken breast in water and save the water to add to the soup. We usually serve with quesadillas or nachos.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 chicken breast, poached and shredded
- 1 (2 ounce) package taco seasoning
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups water (use water from poaching chicken)
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen corn
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, for garnish
- sour cream, for garnish
- Heat oil over medium heat in a soup pot. Add onions and cook until translucent.
- Add garlic and cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add chicken and taco seasoning and stir, letting heat open up the spices.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, except the cilantro and sour cream.
- Simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Add a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of cilantro to each bowl before serving.