Recipe by CaliforniaJan
Fiddlehead ferns are a popular ingredient in New England and in Canada. I am posting this for the ZWT 4 trip to Canada. I have occasionally seen them in California in larger grocery store produce departments.
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 10 -14 ounces fiddleheads, chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup cheddar cheese or 1 cup swiss cheese, grated
- 1 cup fresh tomato, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sweet onion, peeled and chopped (like Vidalia or Maui)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add the garlic clove to the bowl of a food processor and mince.
- Add the fiddleheads, pulse to mince.
- Add the mayonnaise and pulse just to mix.
- Scrape the mixture into a medium sized bowl and fold in the cheeses.
- Lightly oil three one-cup crocks and divided the mixture evenly between the crocks.
- Bake in oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until the top is lightly browned.
- Sprinkle with chopped tomato and onion.
- Serve warm with crackers or bread.