Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Bacon and mushroom cream pasta. Works with any type of pasta! I edited this after Ninna's review, since I also never use butter and don't think bacon needs to be cooked in butter. To make it lighter, use evaporated milk instead of cream. Aussie measurements (1 tbsp = 20mls)
- cooking spray
- 4 slices bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1 brown onion, chopped finely
- 1 -2 garlic clove, crushed
- 150 g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 300 ml cream
- 1 tablespoon cornflour, mixed with
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- 500 g fettuccine pasta (to serve)
- Heat oil spray in large frying pan.
- Add bacon, onion and garlic. Cook until onion softens, stirring gently.
- Add mushrooms, cook until golden.
- Stir in cream, bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until sauce reduces and thickens slightly.
- Add cornflour water, bring to the boil again then instantly reduce heat, stirring constantly as sauce thickens.
- Stir in parsley and parmesan.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour over boiled hot pasta and mix.
- Serve sprinkled with parmesan cheese.
Hubby announced he felt like some "creamy pasta" for dinner. I knew exactly what kind he wanted and cringed. The yummy creamy pasta that he seemed to only get in a restaurant. I have tried numerous times to recreate it only to fail. I announced last night that I would give it "one last shot" and finally found a recipe he LOVED! omg Thankyou for posting this! I have to admit I added a little more cream (and a tiny bit more cornflour because of the extra cream) (probably more for my sake thank his as I could just eat the sauce easily on it's own hehe) I forgot to add the parsley but it was still fantastic. When I was chopping and weighing the mushrooms I was thinking to myself that it was a lot, but they shrunk down when they were cooked and ended up being the perfect amount. I also used short bacon too as hubby's not a big rind fan. Thankyou again for posting this. FANTASTIC!
The flavour of this dish was exceptional. I used ham instead of bacon and flat mushrooms. I also doubled the parmesan cheese for added preferred taste. I found the sauce not as thick as other recipes but I actually enjoyed the thinness of the sauce on this occasion. Thanks Chickee.
I made this exactly as stated and used fettuccine. This had a nice flavour, but there was way too much pasta for the amount of sauce. Next time I think I'll also leave out the cornflour, as it made the pasta congeal as it cooled. Thanks Chickee!