Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Easy to make but nice enough for company, from the "Touched by a Rainbow" Kansas cookbook. Dh doesn't like bleu cheese so I leave it out. Serve with rice or noodles.
- 3 chicken breasts, halved
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 lb fresh asparagus
- Heat oil in lg skillet over medium heat.
- Coat chicken with flour and brown in oil; remove to plate.
- In shallow 3-quart casserole, combine bleu cheese, wine, and soup.
- (I usually spray with non-stick spray first to help with clean-up) Arrange chicken in soup mixture, spooning soup over top of chicken to coat.
- Bake uncovered at 375 for 30 min.
- Meanwhile, clean asparagus spears and cut in half crosswise.
- Remove chicken from oven and arrange asparagus between pieces of chicken.
- Cover tightly and bake 30 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Serve with rice or noodles.
An old favorite from the Good Housekeeping Cookbook I received for a graduation present 25 years ago. Now a kid favorite. Prefer to make with thighs, and use reduced sodium cream of chicken soup (Campbells has a heart healthy version). Sides include couscous, quinoa and watermelon. Kids love it, as do the adults. Can also substitute green beans for the asparagus.
My family loves this recipe which I first found in Good Housekeeping Cookbook. I cook the asparagus in the micro separately for consistency. Still good when you spoon sauce over it. Chicken Rice A Roni is a great easy side.
I've made this one before - it's also in the Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook. The bleu cheese is worth trying - I didn't think I would like it the first time I had it, but it makes it special - festive even :)