Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Scrumptious braised fennel in a light cream sherry sauce - to die for with roast turkey or chicken. Choice of sherry is up to you, Amontillado will give a sweeter slightly smoky flavour, dry a nice crisp bite.
- trim fennel and cut in half lengthwise.
- arrange close together in a large pan, season and add the butter in knobs.
- just cover with water and cook covered over gentle heat for 30 mins.
- remove fennel to warmed serving dish and put to one side.
- reduce the cooking liquid, pour in the sherry and deglaze the pan by vigorously scraping with the back of a fork.
- mix in the creme fraiche, let the sauce bubble up twice and pour over the fennel.
- serve at once.