Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Another recipe with fennel.
- 1 lb tender green beans, trimmed
- 1 large fennel bulb, about 1 pound
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 canned flat anchovy fillet, minced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- coarse salt
- 1⁄4 cup kalamata olive, pitted and quartered
- fresh ground pepper
- If green beans are large, cut them in half lengthwise. Do not use old beans. Blanch them in an abundant amount of boiling salted water until tender yet crisp, about 10 minutes. Drain and refresh under cold running water; shake dry.
- Trim stalks from the fennel bulb and cut away any bruised, discolored or tough outer leaves. Cut the bulb in half lengthwise. Trim the root end, cut out the core at the base of the bulb. Slice lengthwise into thin strips.
- To make the dressing, combine olive oil, lemon juice, anchovy, garlic and salt in a large salad bowl. Before serving, removed the garlic clove, toss the fennel and green beans in the dressing. Sprinkle with olives and ground pepper over the top.