Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 40 mins
A vegan stew typical in Brazil. Prep time does not include bean soaking. You can probably streamline this by using the equivelent amount of canned black beans, rinsed and drained and skip the beginning step.
- 2 cups dried black beans, soaked 8 hours and drained
- 10 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 medium red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke flavoring
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, combine the beans and the 10 cups water.
- Cook over low heat until the beans are tender, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Drain and RESERVE 3 1/2 cups of the cooking liquid.
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large saucepan or Dutch oven and add the onion, bell peppers, tomatoes, and garlic. Cook, stirring constantly, for 8-10 minutes.
- Add the beans, reserved cooking liquid, potatoes, carrots, thyme, cumin, salt, and pepper and cook, uncovered, over medium low heat, stirring occasionally, for 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- Stir in liquid smoke flavoring and fresh chopped parsley.
- Let stand 10-15 minutes before serving.
Delish! I used dried beans, but cooked them in the crockpot on low while I was at work. I also used canned chopped tomatoes and added a bit extra spices (more cumin, red pepper flakes). The main change is that I totally forgot to add the liquid smoke at the end. I'm sure it would have been lovely. Next time I will remember it for sure. Thanks for posting! Made for the Dec 08 veggie swap.
This turned out pretty well! I did take the time to use the dried beans and it worked out great. This is really great; full of delicious vegetables. Made for ZWT4 for the South America/Central America Potato Challenge; Tastebud Tickling Travellers.
I enjoyed this but when using the 'can' method I had trouble with it not absorbing all of the water and boiling dry. Next time I will go with the dried bean method and see if it makes a difference. Made for ZWT4.