Prep 10 mins
Cook 24 mins
As kids we called this sugar cookie "candy cane cookies" because my Sunday School teacher shaped the dough into candy cane shapes. But we quickly created all sorts of shapes for these cookies. Some favorites were Halloween jack-o-lanterns, our boyfriends' initials, and fruit shaped cookies. My sisters and I still make these every Christmas in the traditional candy cane shape.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 -2 1⁄2 cups flour
- food coloring, if desired
- candies or colored crystal sugar, for decorating, if desired
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the shortening, sugar, and egg.
- Add the extracts and salt.
- Mix in the flour, blending well, but don't overmix.
- If desired divide the dough and add coloring. A little extra flour may be needed if liquid coloring is used.
- Shape cookies into desired shapes: form by hand, use cookie gun, or use cookie cutters. Place on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 5 to 8 minutes, or until edges turn a very light golden color.