Recipe by Roosie
There's a couple recipes for tofu sour cream here on 'Zaar, but none quite like this one, so I figured I would post it. This is from the book, "How It All Vegan." It tastes surprisingly like sour cream... I mean, considering its tofu. I used basil vinegar and I think any flavored vinegar would probably be nice.
Top Review by oilpatchjo
I needed this for my sister's son who is allergic to dairy. I used plain creamy tofu, very easy to put together. The tofu is very hard to mix and found I needed to use a blender instead of hand mixer. Suprisingly looks and has the same texture as sour cream. Needs to be made several hours before required so ingredients can marry.
- 2 cups tofu (soft or medium, preferably, about 1lb)
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice or 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon artificial sweetener (sugar, honey, whatever floats your boat)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (or Braggs Liquid Aminos if you're into that sort of thing)
Directions See How It's Made
- Get out your blender or food processor.
- Throw all the ingredients in and blend, blend, blend until it is creamy.
- This may take a while, but it will happen.
- Taste and adjust seasonings accordingly (I added a bit more soy sauce and vinegar to mine).
- Store in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator.
- This should keep for about 5 days.
- It may seperate upon refrigeration, so in this even, just mix it back together with a fork before serving.
- Mine has sort of a brownish-tint (perhaps from the soy sauce), and I wouldn't necessarily try and pass this off as real sour cream on your hubby's baked potato, but if you want it for a recipe (not sure about baked goods) this should be okay.
- If using for Vegetarian or Vegan and you wish to use honey please check to make sure they consume honey. Many do not.