Recipe by mollypaul
Chilling time not included in the preparation time. From the Minnesota Scandinavian chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947
- 12 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄8 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄8 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 7 cups flour (amount is approximate)
- confectioners' sugar
- vegetable oil, for frying
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat yolks and whites, salt and sugar together for 1/2 hour (I know -- but that's what the recipe calls for).
- Add cream and cardamom and stir together well; add butter, lemon extract and brandy.
- Add enough flour to make a dough stiff enough to roll out thinly.
- Place in refrigerator and chill overnight.
- Roll out thinly in small quantities; cut into diamond shapes.
- Cut a slit in the center of each diamond and pull one corner through.
- Preheat oil to 365°F and fry pastry to a delicate brown.
- Cool on paper towels and dust lightly with confectioner's sugar.