Prep 30 mins
Cook 31 mins
from about.homecooking.com, prep time is unknown i just entered a time sorry.
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages yeast
- 4 1⁄4 cups unbleached flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water (115 to 120 degrees F)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
- Combine yeast and 1 cup of flour.
- In seperate bowl, combine water, sugar, and salt.
- add to flour mixture.
- stir in raisin, cinnamon, and sugar, if using.
- beat with electric mixture until no lumps remain and mixture is sort of splashy.
- add raisins, if using, and remaining flour.
- mix until dough is tough.
- turn out on floured surface and knead for 6-8 minutes.
- cover and let rise 10-15 minutes.
- spray a large cookie sheet.
- Divide the dough into 12 to 24 portions, rolling each into a ball and pulling a hole through in the middle with your fingers.
- Place the bagels on the cookie sheet, cover and let rise in a warm place for at least 20 minutes and no more than 2 hours (or you'll have dough coming out of your ears).
- Meanwhile, put one gallon of water and one tablespoon of sugar in a large pot to boil; reduce to simmering. Cook bagels, 4 or 5 at a time for 4 to 7 minutes (depending on the toughness of the skin you prefer - the longer they boil, the tougher they get), turning once.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bake 31 minutes, or until golden brown.