Once I tried this micro version of making my lemon pie filling I never went back to the old stove top method. Fast, clean and no one can tell the difference.
- In microwavable bowl add sugar minus 6 Tablespoons for meringue, cornstarch, salt, water.
- Stir and micro on high for 5 minutes till transparent stirring once.
- Temper egg yolks by mixing a bit of hot mixture with them.
- Add lemon juice and rind.
- Add to hot mixture and stir.
- Cook 3 minutes on 70% power.
- Add butter and pour into pie crust.
- In food processor beat 3 egg whites with 6 Tablespoons of sugar adding gradually.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon salt and bake at 350°F until golden.
The first time I made this, it came out with some lumps that I had to pick out. The times after that, I added ice cubes to the water to get it really cold and I very aggressively whisked the cornstarch. I also stopped after the first minute of cooking and then after two and a half minutes mark to stir. I have since had no problems with lumps. I always make this recipe into lemon tarts (it makes 24 regular sized tarts) with frozen tart shells and serve it with fresh whipped cream instead of meringue. It's very delicious and a new favorite of mine!
Delightfully easy lemon meringue pie! I love making any pudding/custard in the microwave. I added an extra egg white to the meringue and 1/4 tsp cream of tartar as well. I used fresh juice and zest from Meyer Lemons. YUM!
I didn't find this quicker than my usual stove top method, but it is indeed easier not having to stand over a stove and keep whisking to keep from burning. I found this way too sweet though for my liking, it uses 75% more sugar than most recipes with equivalent amounts of other ingredients. I wasn't sure, however, if reducing the sugar would impact the solidity of the curd due to it being a microwave recipe. I may try it again with less sugar to see. Worth noting - my microwave is small so I had to cook this longer in the last cook stage to get it to thicken.