Dustin's Mom's Note:
My husband asked me to create this recipe after he tried this dish at an authentic Italian Restaurant in Philadelphia. When he tasted what I made he said I got it right on. Now he's no cook so I had to pry a description and the ingredients out of him and with some imagination, this is what I came up with. It does take quite a bit of prep time and I use a gas grill for the beans and veggies but the result is well worth the final result, which makes a hearty delicious vegetarian meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 red peppers
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained
- 2 dozen plum tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, smashed then minced
- 2 lemons, juice and pulp of 2
- 1 teaspoon dried sweet basil leaves
- 1 pinch dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1/4 cup fresh parmesan cheese
- 1 lb farfalle pasta
- 1Preheat gas grill to a medium heat.
- 2Trim peppers to remove stems and seeds. Quarter and set aside.
- 3Half the plum tomatoes longwise and set aside.
- 4Rub 1 Tbsp olive oil onto the bottom of an 11 x 14 inch baking pan and stir in all the chickpeas to lightly coat with the oil. Set aside.
- 5On the stove, heat 2 Tbsp olive oil to a large frying pan or Dutch Oven and slowly saute onion and garlic.
- 6Place peppers and tomatoes skin side down onto grill. Place the pan of chick peas onto grill. Adjust the heat to low or leave grill lid open while grilling. Stir chickpeas occasionally to prevent burning. Remove when chickpeas have shrunken somewhat and have some darkened areas, after about 10-15 minutes.
- 7Turn peppers to prevent charring and remove after about 10-15 minutes when tender.
- 8Do not turn tomatoes and remove when tomatoes appear to have darkened inside and no longer appear "juicy," about 10-15 minutes. Set aside and allow to cool enough to handle.
- 9Coarsely chop grilled tomatoes and peppers and add to onion and garlic--I use a kitchen shears and cut right into the cooking pan because it is much easier and it preserves the juice in the tomatoes. Stir in chick peas, lemon juice, basil, oregano. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cover and keep warm.
- 10Cook farfalle according to package directions and drain. Top with the chickpea sauce. Sprinkle with parsley and shredded Parmasean cheese to taste. Serve with a green salad and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Farfalle With Roasted Chickpeas
Serving Size: 1 (557 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 603.3
- Calories from Fat 103
- Total Fat 11.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 3.6 mg
- Sodium 508.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 107.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.6 g
- Sugars 10.4 g
- Protein 21.9 g