Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is an easy side dish and it can be served at any temperature. Great with any meat dish!
- 6 slices smoky bacon
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 red cabbage, thinly shredded
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- Fry the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat. Remove bacon to a paper towel and cool.
- In the bacon fat add the butter and stir until it is melted, add cabbage, vinegar, onion, and cranberries and cook over low heat until cabbage is crisp tender, stirring very frequently. Add in the brown sugar and pepper, stirring until the cabbage is tender. Check for salt and adjust if the bacon was not salty enough.
- Put into a serving dish and crumble the bacon on top. Serve at any temperature.