This is the way I make Fannie's Mac & Cheese. It is by far my favorite comfort food and I hope you enjoy this slightly lighter variation.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (16 ounce) package macaroni (or other pasta)
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 1/2 cup flour
- onion powder
- 12 ounces evaporated 2% milk
- 2 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 drops Worcestershire sauce
- black pepper
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1 cup cheese (any combination of shredded cheddar, swiss, muenster, parmesan, etc.)
- 2/3 cup light sour cream
- 2/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 2Cook and drain pasta according to instructions for al dente pasta.
- 3In a very large sauce pan melt butter (the pan must be large enough to hold all of the sauce and the pasta).
- 4Add flour mixed with salt, pepper and onion powder, use a wisk to stir until blended and cook for 1 minute.
- 5Pour both milks in slowly and stir constantly.
- 6Bring to boiling and stir constantly for 2 minutes.
- 7Reduce heat and cook for an additional 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- 8Add worcestershire sauce.
- 9Add shredded cheese little by little, continuing to stir.
- 10Add sour cream and simmer and stir until all cheese is melted and cream is incorporated.
- 11Turn off flame and add cooked pasta to the saucepan and use a spatula to fold the pasta into the sauce and cover all of the pasta.
- 12Transfer the pasta & cheese sauce to a buttered 13x9 baking dish.
- 13Sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- 14Bake 20 minutes until the top is golden brown.
Browse Our Top Macaroni And Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Macaroni And Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fanny Farmer's Macaroni & Cheese - a Little Lighter Version
Serving Size: 1 (160 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 435.5
- Calories from Fat 199
- Total Fat 22.1 g
- Saturated Fat 13.6 g
- Cholesterol 63.0 mg
- Sodium 606.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 17.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
evaporated 2% milk