Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Can you believe there are the piteous few who have never even heard of these heavenly delights, and many who have never enjoyed baking them? This recipe is my family's favorite.
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable shortening or 1 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Beat together vegetable shortening or margarine and the 1 1/4 cup of sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
- Sift together the dry ingredients--flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt--then incorporate into wet mixture (or if you're lazy like me, just add the dry ingredients carefully and evenly into the wet mixture).
- SEPARATELY combine the remaining 2 T sugar and cinnamon in a shallow bowl.
- Roll the dough gently in the palms of hands into balls (about a tablespoon at a time).
- Roll each dough ball into the cinnamon and sugar mixture so each is coated.
- Place 2" apart on un-greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Carefully transfer to cooling racks.