Recipe by Sara 76
I love pies but I'm always concerned aboout what is actually in the pre-packaged ones. So I came up with this recipe and every now and then I make up a huge batch of this meat filling, make a family sized pie for dinner, and a whole batch of single serve pies for the freezer. If you prefer a chunkier meat pie, use 500g diced beef instead.
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 500 g ground beef
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 2 tablespoons gravy, powder
- 1 tablespoon barbecue sauce
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- milk, for brushing
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan; add onion and cook until softened.
- Add ground beef, black pepper, basil, garlic, flour, gravy powder and barbecue sauce.
- Stir well; add just enough water to come just to the top of the mixture.
- Simmer until gravy thickens, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat; set aside to cool completely.
- Place one sheet of puff pastry in a family sized pie plate.
- Pour cooled meat mixture into the pastry.
- Brush edges of pastry with milk.
- Place other sheet of pastry on top; pinch edges; roll excess pastry in for the crust.
- Using a sharp knife, make two small slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
- Brush with milk.
- Bake at 200 degrees Celsius (400 degrees Fahrenheit) for around 20 minutes or until pastry has browned.