Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I brought my grandpa a piece of store bought pumpkin pie when he was in the hospital and couldn't make it for Thanksgiving dinner. He told one of his visitor's, "You know she makes it from scratch!" I felt guilty, so at Christmas this is what I made. Now a family favorite. Use unspiced canned or fresh pumpkin. If using a frozen pie shell, follow directions on the box and let it sit on the counter for a couple of minutes before filling.
- 1 1⁄4 cups pumpkin puree, unspiced
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked pastry shells
- Combine pumpkin, sugar, salt, spices and flour in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add eggs, mix well.
- Add evaporated milk, water and vanilla, mix well.
- Pour into pastry and bake at 400 for 15 minutes and 350 for 45 minutes or until center is set.
First time I made it the shell I used turned out bad, but the filling was delicious! My mom raved about how good this pie was. Since I had leftover ingredients, I'm making it again. =)