Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
These cookies have a lot of ginger, you can reduce the amount to 2 teaspoons if desired. Plan ahead the dough needs to chill for a minimum of 2 hours. These are very good! The cayenne pepper is only optional, I like to add it in for an extra kick!
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar (use only dark brown sugar!)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon maple extract or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons ginger powder (can use 4 teaspoons)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 cup sugar, for coating (about 1 cup)
Directions See How It's Made
- Line a large baking sheet/s with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl cream butter with both sugars and maple extract until fluffy (about 2 minutes).
- Add in molasses and egg (beat for 2 minutes or until well combined).
- In another bowl flour, baking soda, salt and all spices until blended; add to the creamed mixture; mix until combined.
- Cover and chill minimum of 2 hours.
- Set oven to 350°F.
- Place about 1 cup white sugar in a bowl.
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls, then roll the balls into the sugar, coating them thoroughly.
- Place on baking sheet/s spacing about 2-inches apart.
- Using the bottom of a glass, flatten the cookies slightly.
- Bake for about 12-15 minutes or until cookies feel dry and firm on top.