Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Recipe from All Recipes
Make and share this Exotic Indian Tangy Rice recipe from Food.com.
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups long grain rice, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1⁄4 cup cashews, coarsely chopped
- 7 small dried hot chili peppers
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 10 curry leaves, fresh
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons tamarind paste
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- Measure the water into a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the rice and salt, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is tender and the water has been absorbed.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon of oil in a small skillet set over medium heat. Add the cashews and toast until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in the same skillet over medium heat. Add the chile peppers, mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Once the seeds start to pop, add the curry leaves and half of the nuts. Cook and stir until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- When the rice is done, transfer it to a serving bowl and stir in the turmeric, lime juice and tamarind paste, then mix in the chilies and spices along with the oil from the skillet. Garnish with the remaining nuts and serve with plain yogurt on the side.
I loved this rice! I have never used curry leaves before and absolutely loved them in this recipe. They crisped up while cooking = yum! I also loved the crispiness and flavor from the cashews and the heat from the dried hot chili peppers. The mustard and cumin seeds, tamarind paste and turmeric made the rice very flavorful. This is a recipe I would not ordinarily have tried were it not for ZWT8 India, and I'm so glad that I did. Thank you!