Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Both you and the potatoes will be euphoric when you eat this comfort food!
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 8 medium boiling potatoes, scrubbed and sliced
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cut in 1 inch cubes
- 4 scallions, finely chopped
- In a small bowl combine the scallions and the garlic.
- In another small bowl, combine the salt and pepper.
- In a well-buttered 3.5-qt slow cooker, layer one fourth of the sliced potatoes.
- Sprinkle with about 1/4 tsp of the salt and pepper, and top with one third of the cheese cubes and then one third of the scallion mixture.
- Make a second layer of potatoes, sprinkle with about 1/4 tsp of the salt/pepper mix, and top with half of the remaining cheese and scallion mixtures.
- Repeat with a third layer of potatoes, sprinkle another 1/4 tsp of salt/pepper mix, and top with the remaining cheese and scallion mixtures.
- Make a final layer of potatoes and sprinkle with the remaining salt and pepper.
- Cover and slow cook for 2 hours on high.
- Stir the potatoes to distribute the melting cheese, cover and continue cooking until the potatoes are very tender, about 1 hour longer.
- Stir the potatoes well to mash slightly and serve immediately.
Outstanding recipe, Mirj. The potatoes were very tender. I used green onions with the tops (I like the green part). These babies were euphoric, soothing, creamy. Easy to prepare and easier to cook in the crockpot. This one goes in the t&t cookbook for my house.
I couldn't help it.... I added 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese into the layers of potato and cream cheese. Served with crispy crumbled bacon and more sliced green onion and this was like a loaded Maine baked potato meets comforting, cheesy, creamy potato gratin! Absolutely wonderful and so easy with the slow cooker. Thanks so much for this great recipe.
These were very good. Nice easy dish and the garlic really added a good flavor. Only change I might make is to add other cheeses next time.