Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
From Homemakers magazine Serve with Ethiopian Sauteed Lamb or Beef ( Ethiopian Sauteed Lamb or Beef )
- 2 cups ripe tomatoes, seeded & diced or 2 cups cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups cucumbers, diced
- 1⁄4 cup sweet onion, diced
- 1 green hot pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar or 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- Toss together all ingredients except olive oil.
- Sprinkle with olive oil.
Excellent and refreshing salad, and authentic too. I spent a month in Ethiopia in 2009, and their salads tend to have sharp, sour flavours. I made half a batch, but the full amount of dressing so it's ready for the repeat salad I will make tomorrow. :) Used red onion, balsamic vinegar and an anaheim chilli. Thanks so much for posting.
Lots of cucumbers and tomatoes from the garden this time of year. I was looking for a way to use them up. I tripled the recipe and took them to a family reunion. It was ok, but I wasn't as well received as traditional tomato/cucumber salads. More than half the tray was left at the end of the day. I made this with the red wine because it is what I had on hand. If I make it again I think will try it with balsamic instead.
We love this salad and it's a great compliment to spicy mains. I do kick it up a little by using two Serrano chili peppers and some paprika, and I double the dressing because it's that tasty.