From Homemakers magazine Serve with Ethiopian Sauteed Lamb or Beef ( Ethiopian Sauteed Lamb or Beef )
- 2 cups ripe tomatoes, seeded & diced or 2 cups cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups cucumbers, diced
- 1⁄4 cup sweet onion, diced
- 1 green hot pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar or 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- Toss together all ingredients except olive oil.
- Sprinkle with olive oil.
Excellent and refreshing salad, and authentic too. I spent a month in Ethiopia in 2009, and their salads tend to have sharp, sour flavours. I made half a batch, but the full amount of dressing so it's ready for the repeat salad I will make tomorrow. :) Used red onion, balsamic vinegar and an anaheim chilli. Thanks so much for posting.
We love this salad and it's a great compliment to spicy mains. I do kick it up a little by using two Serrano chili peppers and some paprika, and I double the dressing because it's that tasty.
REALLY good salad to pair with a spicy entree. I thought it could've called for a bit more vinegar to give it a stronger taste. I would definitely make this again!