Ethiopian Sauteed Lamb or Beef
photo by lazyme
- Ready In:
- 12 ounces lean lamb or 12 ounces beef sirloin
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 3 green hot peppers, quartered lengthwise
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 -4 teaspoons berbere mixed spice, recommend Berbere Spice Mix (Ethiopian)
- Cut meat into thin 2 inch long strips and mix with garlic.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat; saute onion and hot peppers until onion is light golden (about 4 to 5 min).
- Add red pepper ans salt; saute until red pepper is tender (about 2 to 3 min).
- Transfer onion mixture to bowl.
- In same pan, melt butter over high heat and saute meat mixture until seared all over (about 2 min).
- Stir in Berbere spice mix to taste; saute for 30 seconds.
- Serve with injera bread and Tomato & Cucumber salad.
- Keep extra Berbere spice mix on table to sprinkle over meat as desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I used lamb chops (not beef). And normally I'm not usually one who goes for lamb, but it really worked well in this recipe. The berbere spice mix gave it a bit of heat and flavor, but it added a bit of sweetness too that seemed to take out that "gamey" taste that I detect in lamb. It was really a nice recipe (and very quick and easy to make, too), and I'm glad I made it. The next time my family wants lamb, I'll turn to this recipe. Thanks, Dreamer. Made for Culinary Quest 2017 (Ethiopia).
see 1 more reviews