Ethiopian Split Pea Mild Stew
- In medium heat cook the onion with one cup of water and one table spoon of oil; stir and sauté continuously until it is very soft. You may add more water if needed. (10 minutes).
- Add to the onion the rest of the oil, garlic, bishop weed, ginger and curry/turmeric; Cook for five minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring to boil 3 cups of water in a medium pot; add the rinsed split peas; Cook it for 10 minutes.
- Strain the water from the cooked peas, set aside.
- Add the cooked peas to the onion; Mix well and cook it for 5 minutes; add one cup of the set-aide water, salt and black pepper. Cook for another 15 minutes or until simmers;.
- Add the sliced hot pepper and remove from heat. You may serve it cold or warm with Injera or bread of your choice.