1/1 Photo of Ethiopian Spicy Split Lentil Stew (Yimser Wot)
Ethiopian Spicy Split Lentil Stew (Yimser Wot) is cooked with chili powder (Berbere) and served with Injera (Ethiopian flat bread) or bread of your choice. Excellent dish for vegans and Lent Observers.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup split red lentils
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder (Berbere)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 red onions (chopped) or 1 shallot (chopped)
- 5 1/2 cups water
- 4 garlic cloves (diced) or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder (if available)
- salt and black pepper
- 1Bring to boil 4 cups of water in a medium pot. Rinse the lentils with fresh water and add to it. Cook for 5 minutes.
- 2Remove the foam with spoon and discard . Lightly drain the extra water in a container or a cup.
- 3Meanwhile, sauté the onion with ½ cup of water and one tablespoon of oil for 5 minutesor until tender.
- 4To the cooked onion add one cup of water, hot red chili powder (berbere), the rest of the oil, garlic and black pepper. Stir for 10 minutes.
- 5Combine the lentils and sauce. Mix well. If more water is needed, use the set-aside water. Cook the stew for 20 minutes until it simmers.
- 6Add false cardamom and salt to taste. Remove from heat. Serve it warm or cold.
- 7P.S. To make it mild, you may use tomato sauce.
- 8* You will find these spices in Ethiopian or Indian shops/groceries.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ethiopian Spicy Split Lentil Stew (Yimser Wot)
Serving Size: 1 (419 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 283.2
- Calories from Fat 99
- Total Fat 11.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 63.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.2 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 13.2 g