Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
Lamb Alicha is my favorite dish. It reminds me of my childhood.
- 2 lbs lamb chops (ribs and meat)
- 1⁄4 cup clarified butter (purified)
- 2 cups white onions (thinly chopped)
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic or 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger root juice or 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon false cardamom (korerima)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 chili peppers (seeded and sliced)
- 6 cups water
- Cut the ribs in smaller sizes and the meat in small strips, wash it with cold water.
- Boil water in large pot; add the cleaned ribs and the meat; cook it for 10 minutes and strain.
- In medium heat, cook the onion with two cups of water (adding the water gradually); stir continuously until tender (10-15 minutes).
- Add the butter, garlic, ginger-root juice, bishop weed and cook for five minutes.
- Add the ribs and the meat; stir for five minutes; put four cups of water and turmeric; cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add false cardamom, salt to taste and cook to simmer; at the end, add the hot peppers and remove from heat.