Ethiopian Ground Beef Mild Stew (Minchet-Abesh Alicha)
- Ready In:
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup onion (thinly chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup clarified butter
- 1⁄4 cup white wine (if preferred)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cardamom (false)
- 1⁄4 ginger powder or 1 tablespoon fresh ginger root juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (diced) or 1 teaspoon garlic clove (diced)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric or 1/4 teaspoon curry
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper powder
- 4 cups water (boiled)
- In medium pot sauté the onion using one cup of boiled water by adding two tablespoon each time until the onion is soft and golden brown.
- In the cooked onion, add one cup boiled water, purified butter, garlic, ginger, bishop weeds, wine and turmeric. Cook for 5 minutes.
- On a baking pan, spread the ground beef and cook it in oven or stir-fry until brown.
- Sprinkle the stir-fry ground beef in the sauce; mix well; add two cups boiled water; cover and cook it for 20 minutes or until simmers.
- Add to the stew white pepper, salt and false cardamom; cook it for 5 minutes; remove from heat.
- Serve it hot with Injera, rice, bread or as desired.
- * You will find these spices in Ethiopian or Indian shops/groceries.
- ** Please go to www.yewoinfamilycooking.com to see how to prepare Clarified/Purified Butter (Nitir Kebe).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!