Recipe by Member #610488
Recipe from a family friend who lives in Mexico near the town of Tehuantepec. Fairly healthy when you add a serving of fruit to this meal.
Top Review by Pinktini
This recipe was really tasty! I gave it a four for texture reasons. Please know this could have been something I did wrong, but the bread was a bit soggy and the eggs not as firm as we like in our house. I let mine refridgerate over night. All in all though, pretty yummy.
- nonstick cooking spray
- 5 slices white bread or 5 slices whole wheat bread, cubed
- 6 ounces turkey sausage
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup light sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup shredded monterey jack pepper cheese
- 1⁄3 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄3 cup salsa
Directions See How It's Made
- Coat a 9- or 10-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Spread bread cubes evenly in the baking dish. Set aside.
- Crumble turkey sausage into a medium skillet; cook until brown. Drain off fat. Pat with paper toweling to remove excess fat. Sprinkle cooked sausage over bread cubes in baking dish.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat together eggs, milk, and sour cream. Stir in pepper jack and cheddar cheeses. Pour egg mixture over sausage in baking dish. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Uncover and bake in a 325F oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until center is set and top is golden brown. Remove from oven. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes before cutting. To serve, cut estratos into wedges. Spoon some salsa on top of each serving.
- NOTE: Can cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours before baking as directed.