Prep 20 mins
Cook 22 mins
These are delicious with a cup of coffee in the morning. Yummy!!
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup instant espresso coffee powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Grease muffin cups with non-stick cooking spray or butter.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, espresso coffee powder, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt; stir to combine.
- In another bowl, add the milk, brown sugar, melted butter, eggs, and vanilla; whisk until smooth.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients; stir just until moistened; do not overmix.
- Pour batter evenly into muffin cups.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips over each muffin.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20-22 minutes or until pick comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack before removing from the pan.
These were pretty good muffins, with a nice texture. But I felt like something was missing--I'm not sure what. They were not overly sweet, which I appreciated. I think maybe I didn't care so much for the cinnamon, but I'm just not quite sure. Still, many people do like cinnamon with coffee and with chocolate, even if I think maybe I'd prefer these without. I was tempted to use chocolate milk instead of milk; maybe I'll try that next time! Thanks for posting, ratherbeswimmin'! Made for Comfort Cafe January 2009.