Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
DELICIOUS! Courtesy of Chef Giada De Laurentis and Food Network's Everyday Italian (and my little girl, who loves watching cooking shows)
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1⁄3 cup water (for brownies)
- 2 tablespoons water (for glaze)
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons espresso powder (for brownies)
- 2 teaspoons espresso powder (for glaze)
- 1 (19 7/8 ounce) box brownie mix
- 3⁄4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray a 9 x 13 baking pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk 1/3 cup water, oil, eggs and 2 tablespoons espresso powder in a large bowl.
- Add brownie mix and stir until well blended.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan.
- Bake about 35 minutes (until a toothpick, poked in the center, comes out clean).
- Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, dissolve remaining 2 teaspoons espresso powder in the remaining 2 tablespoons water in a medium bowl. Whisk in vanilla extract and then add powdered sugar and butter and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the glaze over the cool brownies and refrigerate until glaze is set.
- Cut into bite-size pieces.
I LOVE Giada's recipes. I have yet to make one that did not come out exactly as it should have. These brownies are exquisite and if you're an espresso lover, a must-have! And I love the fact as well-educated as Giada is in cooking/baking, she's not above using a box mix for the basic brownie, and "doctoring" it up to make it special.
YUM! These are so easy and so impressive. I love doctoring up mixes b/c if you keep the brownie mix on hand, then you'll usually have all the other ingredients in your pantry as well for an easy, fast, last minute dessert! The espresso glaze/frosting really makes these a hit. Yay!
This is a great recipe. I've made it twice, once with vanilla extract in the glaze and once with almond extract. It is very rich and easy to be satified with a small piece. Next time I'd like to make it in mini muffin ccups to have little individual pieces. Definatley an easy must-try for any chocolate ad coffee lovers!!