Recipe by Sage
A special recipe for Escargots Bouguigon fans. These are the best escargots.(snails) I found this recipe in a Québec site and it changes the rubbery texture you get with canned escargots. Chose the smaller escagots(36-40)..much better. This is an appetizer for for 4 or a main course for 2.Add a chopped shallot and parsley to the buttter
Top Review by Zurie
Oh, make no mistake -- this is totally delicious! The only objection I have is that the long simmering time did affect the "natural" taste of the snails, making them rather too soft and tasteless. I think that marinating them for 5 minutes in hot consomm? would have been better. I did not use as much cheese as the recipe says, and I added finely chopped parsley to the melted butter and garlic. Mine also needed a pinch of salt -- could have been that the mozzarella was fairly bland. But yum, I love escargots, and we had a nice rich lunch with these! Thanks!
- 1 (4 ounce) can escargot (medium)
- 1 (10 ounce) can consomme
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese or 1 cup swiss cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain and rinse the escargots.
- Put escargots, bay leaf and consommé in sauce pan.
- Simmer for 40 minutes without covering.
- Drain the escargots.
- Meanwhile melt butter and add the crushed garlic; set aside.
- Spoon escargots in garlic butter and let rest 2 hours on counter.
- Place escargots in each hole of escargot dish.
- Spoon on garlic butter.
- Cover with grated cheese.
- Set under broiler for 5 minutes.
- Serve with toasts.